Camp America - Applications Tips

Over the past year, I have been thinking about applying to work in a summer camp in America of the summer of 2018. In my mind it would be a new and amazing experience for me to try and adventure. I decided to keep this diary of dates to follow on with my journey of applying and going to Camp America (fingers crossed it happens).I decided to keep an online diary on my blog to remember the process and give advice to any future international applicants!

Application
Looking back I am definitely surprised how much time I spent on my Camp America application. The goal of wanting to be a stand out applicant pushed me to focus on every little detail and ensure it was perfect! I started my CA application on the 24th of September 2017 and finally submitted the application on the 20th of November 2017. This is almost two months I spent perfecting it. Something that was highlighted to me was to include photographs which would show your skills and what you could do as a counsellor! Obviously this may be time to show off your special skills like diving or football or sword throwing - but I thought it was time to show my creativeness and so I looked at Arts and Crafts as well as Baking - after all they're looking for individuality.

My application tips:

1. Focus on your skills and qualities! Emphasise what you can do and what you've improved on over the years - as well as how you've done this and if you've done any teaching on it!

2. Include photographs or a video of yourself! This really shows you're a human with talent - get someone to take a picture of you doing some kind of hobby like sports, arts and crafts or cooking.

3. Constantly update your application - make it the best it can be!

Interview
I received my invite to an interview on 20th of November 2017. Now if you've looked back, this just so happens to be the same day I submitted my application. In fact it was only a full hour after I submitted it I received an e-mail for an interview! Quick right? What I didn't realise at the time that it is an ongoing application and so people can see your progress and what you put on your application right from the get go! This means that they can easily spot out good candidates and you can add more and more to your application at any time to make you look like a stand out candidate.
27th of November 2017 was the day of my interview. It was to take place in a local coffee shop. I wrote this extract on the morning of; "There is only a small part of me that is nervous and the majority is really excited. I never know if I should be worried that I don't feel so nervous but maybe just growing up I am not as worried about so many things anymore. Hopefully this interview is more like a general coffee chat and it goes well." And I was absolutely right - there was no reason at all to be nervous! The interview was very chilled out and relaxed. The woman didn't grill me with intense questions, she simply wanted to get to know me and what I do. Having such a non-stressful interview made me feel more confident in myself and I knew I could do this! I received news I had passed my interview there and then - and the interview overall only lasted about 45 minutes.

The International Youth Leadership Award
IYLA was something that was introduced to me after my interview had been completed. The International Youth and Leadership Award Programme or IYLA for short! It is a programme designed to enhance your leadership and confidence skills - and overall prepare you for life on camp! Specifically, this programme is designed for Girl Scout camp applicants. At the time I was offered an IYLA space - I wasn't sure what kind of camp I wanted to attend. After reading more into depth about the Girl Scout camps I realised they were perfect for me and so I decided to go ahead with the programme.
The programme itself involves 5 different online learning modules and one training day. The online modules are all about reflection and yourself and what makes you a great leader. There are exercises and games to play to learn more about how to enhance your skills and qualities to be the best this summer! At the end of the modules, you receive a certificate and it's a great thing to put on job applications or CV's as well! It also shows camps your dedication and commitment to become the best possible camp counsellor you could be! The IYLA programme also hosts an exclusive 'Girl Scout Recruitment Fair' in London - which I attended and i'll talk about my experience soon!


(hopefully me soon!)

#iamCA #IYLA

No comments